Monday, June 3, 2013

Dog Day of Summer Smoothie!




With the hot humid days of summer approaching, who doesn't want a refreshing treat after a long walk?  Well I know I do but so do our dogs!  Here is my recipe but please free free to substitute anything.  Also the key is to have two items that are frozen to give it that thick texture or you can even add ice.  
Smoothies are a GREAT way to rehydrate our pooches.  Don't know about your dog, my mine hardly ever drink water, so since I home cook for them, they get plenty of liquid instead of that nasty dry kibble and their smoothies add liquid also to their diet.  Liquid is crucial so they do not develop Urinary Tract Infections and other illnesses.

Recipe:

2 celery sticks
1/4 of an English Cucumber (skin on)
2 strawberries
1 carrot or a few baby carrots
1/4 cup blueberries
a little chunk of ginger
1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 frozen banana
1/2 frozen orange
1/4 cup PLAIN yogurt (non fat)


Place all ingredients in a blender putting the frozen foods on the top.  Blend it up!  With my Vitamix blender it only takes 30 seconds.

I would not store it in the frig because it will loose its nutritional value.  Place in ice cube trays and take out before you go for your walk and when you get home it will be defrosted.  I also bet that some dogs will love to just have it frozen, I know Bella would, heck she try's to eat batteries!












No comments:

Post a Comment